Monday, September 14, 2009

Freaking WiFi!!!!! WTF???

Ok, so I have done quite a bit of traveling in the past couple of months due to it being summer and whatnot. Some of it was for pleasure, some of it was work related, and some of it was wedding related. And what I have come to realize is that where you can and cannot get free WiFi does not make any freaking sense at all. (And as a side note, really, why the heck do we call it WiFi anyway, it is really wireless fidelity?????)

Virgin America from Seattle to SF = Free WiFi
Virgin America from SF to DC =/= Free WiFi

Delta has no WiFi at all of any kind, yet American Airlines offers on its larger flights WiFi for an exorbitant amount of money if you think about the amount that you pay per month for Internet at home.

Sea-Tac Airport has WiFi for free only in certain sections, Atlanta Airport doesn't have it in any sections, and yet the Jackson Mississippi Airport offers it to all for Free.

But what really gets my goat is the way that fancy hotels gouge you on WiFi. I recently was forced to stay overnight in a not so nice motel in Dallas (thanks American Airlines for cancelling my flight and offering me no other options but to stay overnight in Dallas), but, much to my surprise, they had free WiFi. Then I stayed in a perfectly nice hotel in Jackson, MS that also offered free WiFi. But when I stayed in a downright fancy Hyatt in downtown Atlanta they freaking charged me an arm and a leg per day for WiFi use. Thats right, the most expensivo of all the hotels that I stayed in this summer and on top of it all I payed significantly more then I do per month for Internet at home for a mere two days of Internet use at this silly fancy pants hotel. So seriously people, WTF???? Why this WiFi injustice????

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheap places use free wifi to compete with other cheap places.

Expensive places cater to those who either can afford it, or aren't paying for themselves (business travelers).

Unknown said...

interesting...virgin america didn't have free wifi on my flight! even though expensive wifi angers me, it's kind of nice because it forces me to not work :-)